Friday, November 14, 2008

OMRON HJ112 Premium Pedometer (case of 50)

Omron's new product, the HJ-112 Premium Pedometer, has more flexibility in usage than most digital pedometers because it contains two acceleration sensors. This capability allows the pedometer to count steps at all positions perpendicular to the ground. As a result, the pedometer can be placed in a pocket as well as clipped on a belt. Counts steps, aerobic steps, distance in miles and calories burned Aerobic steps are counted separately when walking or jogging more than 60 steps per minute or more than 10 minutes continuously Lustrous metallic lightweight design with detachable pedometer holder and spring clip 1 year warranty
Customer Review: Please read this BEFORE BUYING.
This does seem to be a wonderful podometer which does deliver everything they say it does. The problem is that it is SO SENSITIVE that if you're riding a car and the road isn't PERFECTLY smoothe, it will register the vibrations as steps!! If it had an on/off switch or a PAUSE BUTTON to turn it off and stop counting steps whenever you're on any motorized vehicle it would be THE perfect podometer. A few days ago I realized at some point in the day that the pedometer was marking waaay to many steps for how inactive I had been that day. I then thought of checking the steps before and after I got into the car and realized that any minor vibration is registered. One would have to write down the number of steps before and after any ride on any motorized vehicle and do the math at the end of every day! I find this extremely frustrating
Customer Review: Great motivator! Very good design -- deserves a MOMA award.
I wanted to start walking more as I have a very sedentary job. I bought a Sportline pedometer first (Sportline 353 Talking Pedometer) about a year ago. It worked fine counting steps but had other issues. It was constantly slipping off my waistband and bouncing off the floor. It also easily reset. If I bumped the reset button with the seat belt all my fine walking data was lost. You could theoretically keep a walking tally for a week - but I accidentally hit the reset button 2-3 times a day sometimes. It was very frustrating. The clip broke after about 3 months, so I retired it. I bought a Omron HJ112 Premium Pedometer and have worn it almost every day since. It has a teather. Even if the clip slips off, the pedometer dangles from the teather - it doesn't bounce off the floor. Also the clip is part of a separate holder - if the spring breaks it could easily and inexpensively be replaced. It works attached to my bookbag or purse strap also, in my pocket or in my purse. It doesn't count steps as well attached to a down jacket pocket -- but a denim jacket pocket or blazer lapel works fine. It has a clock, and a 7 day memory. At midnight it automatically stores the day's data and resets to zero. It tallies daily: steps, mileage, calories burned, aerobic steps, and time spent in aerobic activity. It saves that information (except for time spent in aerobic activity) for 7 days. The stored information is easy to view. This is good if I am traveling and not near my fitness log for 2-3 days. One trick: Sometimes I go out walking at 11:30 PM -- especially if I have been on the computer all evening. But the pedometer resets at midnight -- so sometimes late night walks would get split over 2 days. I leave the clock off by one hour. The pedometer starts its new day at 1AM. And I am always in bed by then. Promise. :-) I like very much that it counts the number of aerobic steps and the time spent in aerobic activity. My goal (in addition to just walking more) is to walk a minimum of 30 minutes a day at an aerobic pace (and increasing this amount). According to the manual: "Aerobic steps are counted separately when walking or jogging more than 60 steps per minute or more than 10 minutes continuously." The pedometer has been very helpful integrating walking into my life. If I come in from the bus stop and just go to my desk I walk about 1000 steps. If I come in from the bus stop, climb the stairs to my office, and go get water for coffee, I get in 10 minutes of aerobic activity - 1/3 of my daily goal. When I started wearing a pedometer I walked about 3000 steps per day (none aerobic). I average about 8000 steps now (4000 aerobic). Walking the dog -- at first I could make it 10 mintutes at an aerobic pace. I am up to 40 minutes and me and the dog both have lost weight. Me and the dog are both happier critters too! Other than walking the dog, I haven't changed much that is noticeable. I park on the other side of the parking lot at the grocery store. I walk the cart back to the store -- not just the buggy coral when I am done. I get off the bus a stop early - about a block and a half away (1000 steps). I take the stairs at work (20 steps per floor). I walk outside for lunch to a pinic area about a block away instead of sitting in my office with a sandwich. Little extra steps like this all day long add up. Walking is "Aerobics on a stick." All I have to do is walk out the door to start - no swim suit or car ride to the gym needed. The pedometer reminds me all day long to add those little steps, and it keeps me motivated to walk walk walk. Happy trails!


0 comments: